Neuromodulation techniques II
Neuromodulation Tech II
Academic year 2023/2024
- Course ID
- Michele Maria R. Lanotte (Lecturer)
- 2nd year
- Teaching period
- First semester
- Related or integrative
- Course disciplinary sector (SSD)
- MED/27 - neurosurgery
- Formal authority
- Type of examination
- Type of learning unit
- Modular course
- Neuromodulation techniques (NEU0287)
- Basic knowledge of Central Nervous System and Neurology
Sommario del corso
The Course aims to provide students with knowledge about the main surgical neuromodulation techniques (both electric and chemical).
Indications for Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS), Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS), Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS), Intrathecal Drug Delivery (IDD) will be discussed along with the clinical outcome.
Particular attention will be paid to the future technological developments of the surgical devices.
Results of learning outcomes
At the end of the Course students will be able to know the principal electric and chemical techniques to modulate the Nervous System and their clinical indications and outcomes.
- Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) : indications, surgical technique, clinical results
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS) : indications, surgical technique, clinical results
- Spinal Cord Stimulation (SCS) : indications, surgical technique, clinical results
- Intrathecal Drug Delivery (IDD) : indications, surgical technique, clinical results
- Future developments of invasive neuromodulation techniques
Learning assessment methods
Suggested readings and bibliography